[openib-general] help with ifconfig output from ipoib

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Tue Dec 20 11:15:29 PST 2005

One of my coworkers brought a problem to me which I need guidance from you guys on.

He pointed out that the HW address for the ipoib interface in ifconfig reported all 0's.

11:12:50 > /sbin/ifconfig ib0
ib0       Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

I tracked this down using strace to be a difference in the redhat kernel vs the latest 2.6.14 kernel.  The  ioctl in redhats 2.6.9 kernel will return EOVERFLOW if the sa_data area is too small.  This seemed like an easy enough fix.  Change the behavoir of the SIOCGIFHWADDR