[openib-general] PathScale license

Johann George johann at pathscale.com
Tue Dec 27 18:02:55 PST 2005

We have heard the issues that have been raised regarding the PathScale
license.  PathScale's intent is solely to protect its hardware IP and not to
limit use of the software in any way.

PathScale's use of this language is not original.  SGI has used, and perhaps
originated, the additional language.  It currently appears in several files
in the Linux kernel.  As an example, see fs/xfs/linux-2.6/kmem.c

At the bottom of their license, they provide a URL which no longer exists.
Going though the web archives, it appears that the following is a simile:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040311225417/oss.sgi.com/projects/GenInfo/NoticeExplan/

In it they claim that the additional language has been reviewed by the Free
Software Foundation which concluded there was no conflict between it and the
GPL and LGPL.

PathScale's intent is to comply with the licenses that OpenIB allows for
contributions.  Nevertheless, in our ongoing efforts to be as friendly to
the Open Source community as possible, we will review our language as soon
as people return in the new year.  We are fully supportive of OpenIB and do
not want to see it hindered in any way.

Johann