[openib-general] RFC on SDP checkin

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Fri Feb 4 14:20:20 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:26:32PM -0800, Tom Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:42 -0800, Libor Michalek wrote:
> >   You mean a quick description of the code, like the primary contents of
> > each file and how to get it to do something ?
>
> That would be great start.
>
> Is there a userland LD_PRELOAD library required?  Is there a new PF_SDP
> family or does it transparently work if you are on top of IB hardware
> with PF_INET?  What is the opt-[in|out] mechanism?
>
> If a socket is listen()'ing, can it accept() connections on both TCP and
> SDP?  Or does an app need to choose SDP or TCP?  Same goes for connect().

  The SDP module itself provides no transparency, it is implemented as a
seperate protocol family. I can provide a userspace LD_PRELOAD library for
configurable limited transparency. However, I think the best longer term
solution is a kernel level socket switch, which it would be nice to have
independent of the protocol modules themselves. There are a some people
here who have some good ideas and experience in this. The other option to
explore is the SDP port mapper protocol from the RDMAC.

-Libor