[openib-general] RFC on SDP checkin

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Fri Feb 4 14:32:20 PST 2005

>The SDP module itself provides no transparency, it is implemented as a
>seperate protocol family. I can provide a userspace LD_PRELOAD library
for
>configurable limited transparency. However, I think the best longer
term
>solution is a kernel level socket switch, which it would be nice to
have
>independent of the protocol modules themselves. There are a some people
>here who have some good ideas and experience in this. The other option
>explore is the SDP port mapper protocol from the RDMAC.

>-Libor

There is a socket switch in the sourceforge code if people want to take
look at an example. I think however that as a first step,
we go with the separate address family as it would be less controversial
and would give people some time to be come comfortable with the SDP
idea, then perhaps discuss with Dave Miller on how best to implement a
transparent socket switch.

woody