FW: [openib-general] Minutes from DAPL BOF at OpenIB Workshop

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Feb 10 09:38:30 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > The *DAPL API is already decided in a spec.  If we change it, it will
> > become lose compliance.
>
> Who cares?  Specs don't matter at all for kernel APIs.  The kDAPL API
> as-is is won't go in the kernel, and no amount of cosmetic cleanup
> can change that.

we're back into the "we did a spec, so the code can't change" loop.

To break out of the loop, one need merely:
- repeat "spec? what spec? we don't need no steenking spec" out loud*
- burn the spec in your fireplace or wood stove
- write code

then it all works out.

ron
* see google for the movie reference