[openib-general] Re: FW: summary of my understanding on our common work on openib.org

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Thu Feb 10 12:39:41 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005, Grant Grundler <iod00d at hp.com> wrote:
> Offline, I exchange email with Roland about this attribute.
> Seems like we want to know the answer to these questions:
>
> o is there any code outside of openib.org using this attribute?
> o if so, how useful is it?
>
> Roland is certain none of the protocols in the proprietary Topspin stack
> uses this feature.
>
> The reasons roland gave all seemed valid for removal except the fact
> the product has been shipping for a while and thus it's available to
> users regardless of if mellanox supports it or not.
> It's reasonable to remove if no one can show a use case.

Or reasonable to add back if someone shows a use case.

The kernel code should be lean and unless there is an immediate or short
term use for a feature, it probably shouldn't be there. We should be
asking "why keep it in the code?", not "why should we remove it from
the code?"

If we're a little bit too aggressive with removing stuff, just add it
back when you need it.

JE