FW: [openib-general] Minutes from DAPL BOF at OpenIB Workshop

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Fri Feb 11 06:50:34 PST 2005

Just to add there is a Lustre NAL over kDAPL in development
And few other application specific protocols done over kDAPL I know of
All those protocols Arkady mentioned can work on both RDMA technologies
and where designed in such a way (I'm familiar with their code and
architecture).

And another grate benefit of kDAPL is the simplification of the Verbs &
Access Layer API, making the ULP's simpler to implement, where a lot of
common functionality is done by a shared library (kDAPL)
And with a socket like connection establishment flow, etc'

If we want IB to be successful we need to find a way for software
developers to easily build implementations over it (even if not all of
the Applications are open and part of the Linux tree), forcing all Linux
RDMA developers to code to Verbs, CM, SA, ... is probably not the best
approach (the IB spec is many pages as you all know).

For all the guys worried about performance degradation, the latest Verbs
vs DAPL benchmark we did we got 100% the same BW and ONLY 200ns latency
difference.

There is agreement that the current kDAPL API and implementation are not
Linux friendly, and as mentioned before a bunch or people volunteered at
Sonoma to do the work involved in changing it, and agree to make kDAPL
API different than uDAPL and more suitable for kernel.

Yaron

Workshop

> For kDAPL:
> The iSER has been submitted to Open Ib by Voltaire already.
> NFS-RDMA is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nfs-rdma/.
>
> For uDAPL: Oracle, DB2 and MPI.
> I am not aware if there is an open source MPI version on uDAPL.
>
> These are publicly known.
>
> As far as changing the uDAPL or kDAPL APIs.
> There are application already writen to them.
> There are implementation of these APIs on other platforms besides
Linux.