FW: [openib-general] Minutes from DAPL BOF at OpenIB Workshop

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Sun Feb 13 06:25:24 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 10:37:12AM +0200, Dan Bar Dov wrote:
> > I don't know who "we" here is, but we as the kernel developer
> > community certainly disagree.
>
> So how do you describe scsi mid layer?
> Scsi mid layer is exaclty a unifying API that hides the specific hardware device drivers from the upper layer abstractions.
> The kdapl model is identical to the scsi model - a single in-kernel API that hides different hardware specific implementations of RDMA.

It's not really analogue.  In SCSI the hardware (or at least the drivers)
all speak the same protocol (in a few different revisions), and the scsi
midlayer and upper level drivers implement most of that protocol.  The
LLDDs program the different hardware implementing this protocol.

See the SAM-2 or SAM-3 documents for details.