[openib-general] Looking for a Mellanox VAPI example C/C++ code

Paul Baxter paul.baxter at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Feb 13 11:54:43 PST 2005

From: "Mike Houston" <mhouston at graphics.stanford.edu>

> This has been a running request now for quite some time.  Everyone says
> its a good idea, but it's hard to get it actually done.  (And before
> people say, "this is an open source project so why don't you do it
> yourself", keep reading)  Since the spec is slowly evolving, we really
> need the OpenIB developers or the IBTA to write a programmer's manual for
> VAPI.  Folks working on the ULPs should do the same.

I agree entirely with the sentiment of this email.

I know to my team's cost that this is an area where even after you buy kit
from a vendor, you still end up with sparse documentation, a few example
templates to copy and very little in the way of tutorial material to bring
programmers up to speed.

We have the Mindshare book and the IB specs but these aren't exactly easy
tutorial material. Some of the code fragments here have been helpful too,
but in general we have kept with SDP purely because other areas seem so
daunting.

Alternatively I'm seriously thinking of offering Roland a job ;)

Paul Baxter
Despite my levity above, opinions expressed are my own, not my company's.