[openib-general] Looking for a Mellanox VAPI example C/C++ code

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Feb 14 10:24:47 PST 2005

A few comments about documentation:

There seem to be two distinct requests in this thread.  First, there
is a desire for a basic verbs example that can be used to get
started.  I am writing code like this as I develop the userspace verbs
library, since I need basic tests to make sure the library works.
There will be at least a couple of examples packaged and released as
part of libibverbs.

Second, there is a request for comprehensive documentation that covers
the complete verbs API.  This is a much larger undertaking.  I am
looking at ways I can make this happen, but it is difficult to figure
out how I can put enough time in to make it happen in a reasonable
amount of time.  I'm also not sure that type of documentation some
people might want is even possible -- it will never be possible to
have a cookbook that says "set field X to value Y and your app will go
fast;" the reason field X can take different values is because the
correct value depends on the particular app.  It will never be
possible to get high performance without a deep understanding of both
IB and the app being tuned.

Finally, I don't think inexperience or lack of knowledge means that
someone can't write good documentation.  One of the best ways to learn
about something is to try and write about it.  It should be easy to
get started and cover the basics, and then study and ask for help on
the hard bits.  You can probably trick the experts into doing most of
your work by asking questions and posting docs for review on
openib-general.  (Not having the time or not being interested in doing
it are valid excuses, though ;)

 - R.