[openib-general] Looking for a Mellanox VAPI example C/C++ co de

Mike Houston mhouston at graphics.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 14 10:27:22 PST 2005

Tziporet Koren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think we need an example of VAPI code since gen2 will be the
> real thing.
> When user level verbs will work we will port Mellanox performance test
> (known as perf_main) to gen2.
> From this test one can learn how to get the good performance out of IB.

NO, NO, NO.  If you expect people to learn how to use IB (well) from
code like perf_main, I think you are very mistaken.  User level verbs
would be fine, if the performance is there, but we would still need FULL
documentation and a programmer's manual.  While I'll agree that if the
ULPs can provide good performance, users might not need to code to VAPI,
but I'll believe it when I see it.  Regardless, programming
documentation is still required at all levels .  What are the people
writing ULPs supposed to use?

> If you have Mellanox SW you can get perf_main sources.
> If you want I can send this code to you, or put it in gen1 in some
> place (but Makefiles will not work as is)

As I said, I have the source to perf_main, that is how I learned to
write VAPI code poorly...

-Mike