[openib-general] SDP_CONN_LOCK

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Thu Feb 17 14:00:15 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:29:37PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Libor Michalek <libor at topspin.com>:
> > Subject: Re: [openib-general] SDP_CONN_LOCK
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:35:17PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > Hi, Libor!
> > > Could you please explain what are the SDP_CONN_LOCK
> > > and friends doing in SDP?
> > >
> > > It seems they just implement exclusive access to socket,
> > > but if so, why is a simple semaphore or mutex not used?
> >
> >   They do implement exclusive access to the socket, but they implement
> > exclusive access from both process and irq context, which is why a
> > semaphore was not used. In interrupt context SDP_CONN_LOCK_BH is used
> > to lock the connection, look in sdp_cq_event_handler() for it's use,
> > and in process context SDP_CONN_LOCK is used.
>
> I dont really understand how it works.
> When an interrupt arrives while users != 0, it seems you are
> calling scheduler().
> What is sdp_conn_internal_lock doing? I understand it is to be called
> from interrupt context, but how can it call scheduler() then?

  SDP_CONN_LOCK and SDP_CONN_UNLOCK are never called from interrupt
context, only from process context. The spinlock conn->lock.slock
is called in interrupt context and process context before the 'users'
variable is changed or read. If users != 0, then the connection is in
use by process context. If the connection is in use then another lock
request in process context will sleep until users == 0, if the connection
is in use then a lock request in interrupt context will mark the
connection as having had an event and return. When a process context
lock holder releases the lock, it checks if there has been an interrupt
event, which it then processes by draining and arming the CQ, and it
wakes any process context waiting for the lock.

-Libor