[openib-general] SDP_CONN_LOCK

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Feb 17 15:25:39 PST 2005

Quoting r. Libor Michalek <libor at topspin.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] SDP_CONN_LOCK
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:13:30AM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Quoting r. Libor Michalek <libor at topspin.com>:

> > >   SDP_CONN_LOCK and SDP_CONN_UNLOCK are never called from interrupt
> > > context, only from process context. The spinlock conn->lock.slock
> > > is called in interrupt context and process context before the 'users'
> > > variable is changed or read. If users != 0, then the connection is in
> > > use by process context. If the connection is in use then another lock
> > > request in process context will sleep until users == 0, if the connection
> > > is in use then a lock request in interrupt context will mark the
> > > connection as having had an event and return. When a process context
> > > lock holder releases the lock, it checks if there has been an interrupt
> > > event, which it then processes by draining and arming the CQ, and it
> > > wakes any process context waiting for the lock.
> >
> > Cant all this be done by a semaphore in process context, and
> > down_trylock in interrupt context?
> > The "connection has an event" bit could be protected by a spinlock.
>
>   The CQ draining happens inside of the spinlock. If the CQ drain
> happened in process context inside of a semaphore, then there is
> a race condition for the interrupt between checking the semaphore
> and setting the spinlock protected "connection event bit". The
> CQ drain and the "event bit" have to happen under the same lock
> to avoid the race.
>
>   If you move the CQ drain and the "event bit" into the same spinlock
> where do you put the semaphore? In process context the spin would
> need to be inside the semaphore lock, but in interrupt context the
> semaphore down_trylock and up are inside the spinlock. Now there would
> be a race between spin_unlock() followed by up() in process context
> and spin_lock() followed by down_trylock() in interrupt context.
>
>    spin_unlock()
>                   spin_lock()
>                   down_trylock()
>    up()
>

> -Libor

Since CQ drain is protected by spinlock - move it outside the semaphore?

process:

down
stuff
up

lock
check bit and arm
drain
unlock

interrupt:

lock
down_trylock
set bit
up
unlock

Anyway, this flow is just an optimisation - so I wander how much does it help,
actually. My understanding this is a backport from gen1, but what was
a useful optimisation for gen1 may not be for gen2.
gen2 event flow is much faster than gen1 - it is possible
all the extra locking and complications are not worth it with mthca.
I know this is what my attempts to switch to polling in ip over ib show.

--
MST - Michael S. Tsirkin