[openib-general] Re: ANNOUNCE: First usable version of userspace verbs

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Feb 24 10:40:09 PST 2005

    Michael> The pingpong test fails for me, on x86_64. (The
    Michael> executable being a 64 bit one). My kernel is 2.6.10.

OK, I installed x86_64 userspace and got user verbs working.  The
first problem you ran into was because on a 32-bit arch,

    struct {
            uint64_t a;
            uint32_t b;
    };

has size 12 but on a 64-bit arch it has size 16.  Because of the way I
tested sizes of parameters passed into the kernel, it was basically
looking for userspace to pass a size of 12.  I fixed this by padding
all the structs to a multiple of 8 bytes so we don't run into this.

I also fixed a few warnings and other small glitches, and now the
pingpong test works for me from both 32- and 64-bit userspace.

Since the ABI is different, you'll have to rebuild both the kernel
modules and the userspace libraries when updating.

Thanks,
  Roland