[openib-general] Re: Porting DAPL to OpenIB Gen 2

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Mon Feb 28 12:33:59 PST 2005

Date: 2/28/2005

James Lentini       jlentini at netapp.com
Dror Goldenberg     gdror at mellanox.co.il
Itamar Rabenstein   itamar at mellanox.co.il
Arkady Kanevsky     arkady at netapp.com
Hal Rosenstock      halr at voltaire.com
Aviram Gutman       aviram at mellanox.co.il
Arlin Davis         arlin.r.davis at intel.com
Tom Duffy           tduffy at sun.com
Yaron Haviv         yaronh at voltaire.com
Or Gerlitz          ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Steve Sears         sjs at netapp.com
Bob Woodruff        robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Tom Talpey          talpey at netapp.com

+ Enumerate Tasks:
   - uDAPL
     who: Arlin Davis at Intel

     No additional volunteers.

     We agreed to keep SourceForge structure (provider and platform
     abstraction layers) for uDAPL. Openib user space software lacks
     a CM and name resolution APIs. uDAPL will need to work around
     these deficiencies (by hard coding connections, etc.) at first.

     uDAPL will require kernel support for mapping the cookies used
     by shared registrations.

   - kDAPL
     who: Itamar Rabenstein at Mellanox
          Hal Rosenstock at Voltaire

    Initially we will work with current verbs abstraction layer. Once
    OpenIB support is functional and stable, we will begin removing
    the verbs and platform abstraction layers.

    MTHCA does not support all of DAPL required features (memory
    windows, virtual memory registration, etc.). When will these
    be supported?

    [AI] James Lentini: inquire about above

   - name resolution interface
     who: ?

     The kernel APIs are evolving. User will be done second.

   - Linux coding style
     who: everyone

     Documentation is in every linux kernel in
     "Documentation/CodingStyle" and "Documentation/SubmittingPatches"
     Tom Duffy gave James Lentini an overview of the types of changes
     at the OpenIB workshop. No apparent interest in making a single
     individual responsible for this. We expect to receive feedback
     from the community once code is in OpenIB tree.

   - kDAPL API changes for Linux coding style
     who: James Lentini and Arkady Kanevsky at NetApp

     First step is changing header files. We would like to keep
     old code from breaking while updates are being made. One option is
     to use a temporary set of typedefs while the headers are in flux.

     [AI] James Lentini: send Tom Duffy's patches to attendees

   - tools (dapltest, dat conformance test, etc.)
     who: volunteers?

     DAT Conformance test needs recode. No volunteers to do this work.

   - documentation (user guide, design guides, etc.)
     who: volunteers? everyone?

     We only touched on this briefly as time was running out. James
     would like written record of design decisions for posterity.

+ Appropriate location for DAPL source code in OpenIB tree.
   Split kernel and user space code? Split registry and provider?

   Do we want to split kernel and user space code? Majority are in
   favor of split. License issues are simpler (i.e. if the OpenIB
   community ever wanted to add the LGPL for user components this would be
   feasible). Intel's experience with past Linux projects suggest that
   this is the correct decision. Keeping them together would mean lots
   of kernel changes affect user code.

   We will keep the registry code in the same general location as the
   provider code. If other RDMA transports pop up, we will adjust this.

   Initially, we will put DAPL code on a branch and move to mainline
   when it is ready. Initial OpenIB checkin will be based on the soon
   to be created DAPL Gamma 3.1 drop (this drop will be Gamma 3.0 +
   a few fixes + GPL option).

   [AI] James Lentini: create tar of current CVS and send to Tom,
        Arlin, Itamar, and Hal. They will get started with this while
        Gamma 3.1 is being prepared.

+ Procedure for checkins

Use the same procedure for other parts of the OpenIB tree. Submitter
will send an email containing patch to openib-general at openib.org and
cc'ing James Lenitni (jlentini at netapp.com). Submitter should indicate
that it is for dapl by placing the text "[DAPL]" in the subject.

NOTE: We didn't discuss this on the phone, but checkins should also
have a "signed-off by" line (in accordance with OpenIB practices).

+ SourceForge synchronization

Proposal would be to have patches sent to both OpenIB and SourceForge.
The files in OpenIB will have 2 licenses and the SourceForge will have
3 licenses.

Little enthusiasm for this on the phone. Two counter proposals
made:

1) submit code with CPL license
2) re-license code with CPL

[AI] Tom Duffy: At the next OpenIB board meeting, ask if it is a
      violation of OpenIB bylaws to have dapl files licensed under
      a third license (CPL)?
[AI] James Lentini: try to attend board meeting to answer questions.
[AI] James Lentini: investigate option #2 with lawyers. Note: early
      indications are that this is not feasible.