[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jan 4 13:15:13 PST 2005

> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 19:47 +0000, Paul Baxter wrote:
> > > Quoting r. Michael S. Tsirkin (mst at mellanox.co.il) "[openib-general] ip
> > > over ib throughtput":
> > >
> > > At 159 Mbyte/sec without SSE doorbells.
> > > The test is netperf-2.2pl5, BTW.
> >
> > Didn't see any response to Michael's numbers other than another mail today
> > from Josh England saying 'great numbers till it dies'.
> >
> > Are these results considered good on a 4x link? I realise there is a
> > significant TCPIP overhead, but is this significantly better or worse than
> > the vendor-specific equivalents using different drivers?
> >
> > What (short term?) plans are there for implementing a higher performance
> > link that can show better transfer rates.
> >
> > I'm interested in any bottlenecks this might reveal in the current kernel
> > submission and understanding in broad handfuls what sort of
> > optimisation/stabilisation period will be necessary before I can look to
> > using openib in high bandwidth message transfers. Is more functionality or
> > performance optimisation the goal for the next 6 months.
> >
> > I've largely written off SDP going higher than ~300MB/s even with high CPU
> > utilisation. (Assumptions: License concerns make it unlikely to be one of
> > the first things openib tackle. Not trivial to implement it with zero copy
> > or asynchronous I/O on Linux)

I think SDP can go higher and I think I know how to do zero copy.
But license/patent concerns present a problem.

Quoting r. Josh England (jjengla at sandia.gov) "Re: [openib-general] ip over ib throughtput":
> I'm seeing about 364 MB/s between 2 PCIe Xeon 3.2GHz boxes using
> netperf-2.3pl1.
>
> -JE

With IP over IB on gen2? Are these x86_64?

mst

--
Q: What is more annoying than top-posting?