[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Tue Jan 4 13:36:06 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 07:47:34PM -0000, Paul Baxter wrote:

> I've largely written off SDP going higher than ~300MB/s even with high CPU
> utilisation. (Assumptions: License concerns make it unlikely to be one of
> the first things openib tackle. Not trivial to implement it with zero copy
> or asynchronous I/O on Linux)

  SDP synchronous performance is primarily dependent on the system
user/kernel space copy performance, so throughput varies widely. I've
measured performance in plain synchronous mode over 600 MB/s. Asynch
and zero-copy are not trivial, but I've had it working on the 2.4
redhat kernels for over a year, and I'm currently finishing up support
for 2.6 kernels. As Roland mentioned the primary gating factor for
submitting it to openib is a working Connection Manager which Sean is
currently working on.

-Libor