[openib-general] Some Missing Features from mthca/user MAD access

Roland Dreier roland.list at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 07:56:27 PST 2005

> > >         PortInfo:PortPhysicalState

> > Why is this useful?

> This is useful when link is not coming up: you can see what is going on
> better. It  replaces the need to view the LED for this.

I don't understand this.  The (logical) port state shows everything
the LEDs show:
a state of INIT means one LED is on, ACTIVE means both are on.

Also, the justification for doing this in the kernel is that otherwise
userspace needs
to send a MAD to the local node to get this information.  But so does
the kernel.
So why does this code really need to be in the kernel?

 - Roland