[openib-general] Re: IPoIB Path Static Rate

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Jan 6 12:48:46 PST 2005

At 09:58 AM 12/18/2004, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 12:55, Roland Dreier wrote:
> > Surely link width and/or speed can't change without the port state
> > changing, can they?  As I understand it, the link layer can't
> > renegotiate this sort of thing without bringing the link down.  In
> > which case ULPs only need to refresh their rate information when they
> > get one of the existing port state change events.
>
>Yes, port state change is sufficient to take care of this.
>
> > (If the link rate can change without any notice, then static rate for
> > RC is meaningless since a link could change from 4X to 1X without
> > disturbing existing connections).

Keep in mind that unless one is monitoring all of the intermediate port
states, then this can change without it being noticed by the CA port if
does not change.  Same would apply if a switch fabric were reconfigured
such that a LID took a new path through the fabric and the rate was
impacted by either link width change or signaling rate change.  Static rate
needs to understand the entire end-to-end path and whenever it is updated
to be effective.  For IP over IB using UD, there are many paths which can
be taken so it is not clear what would be an appropriate IPD if one path
the data rate is 500 MB/s and on another it is 6GB/s.  Should this be
dominated by the lowest path speed or should one pursue VL arbitration to
segregate this type of workload based on what the endnode believes is the
proper QoS?  IPD does not really work for UD in the end and our intention
with the technology was to avoid trying to bandwidth manage UD other than
through VL / switch port arbitration policies.

Mike