[openib-general] Sockets Extensions Completed

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Fri Jan 7 12:21:47 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:03:47AM -0800, Josh England wrote:
> This is probably not the right forum, but how would you say the ES-API
> compares with DAPL?

  ES-API appears to be much closer to the Linux AIO extensions then to
DAPL. DAPL provides an explicit RDMA API for applications while AIO and
ES-API allow for asynchronous operations on normal sockets, so you can
perform standard socket operations, plus asynchronous operations. AIO
and ES-API still maintain streaming socket symantics, while DAPL provides
full RDMA capabilities, such as explicit memory placement.

  ES-API goes a few steps further then the existing Linux AIO in providing
explicit memory registration, which may or may not be a significant win,
depending on application. Using Linux AIO, which does not have explicit
memory registration, my existing SDP implementation can reach full data
rate. The registration is done on the fly using FMRs

-Libor