[openib-general] Some Missing Features from mthca/user MAD access

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Jan 10 09:05:19 PST 2005

Hello!
Quoting r. shaharf (shaharf at voltaire.com) "RE: [openib-general] Some Missing Features from mthca/user MAD access":
> Eitan, the main (and only) purpose of the IS_SM bit is for SM to SM
> coordination. As a matter of fact it means that when discavering a port with
> this bit you have to query it with sminfo to see if he is the master or maybe
> it should be the master. There is not other use.

BTW I thought maybe sending a query to the SM LID from another node
and use the is sm bit to check whether opensm is running on the subnet
is a useful trick.

Because I think kernel + hardware will answer that even if user-space
opensm is slow of blocked on something.

Right? So that will be a slightly different use of the IS_SM bit.

MST