[openib-general] has anyone tried MSI-X on Opteron?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Jan 14 01:44:06 PST 2005

Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> writes:

>     Eric> Given that hypertransport interrupts are simply encoded as
>     Eric> posted write packets it may be possible to send an
>     Eric> appropriate interrupt even without explicit bridge support.
>
> I would be quite surprised if you could generate a PCI write cycle
> that gets turned into an HT interrupt message without the bridge
> supporting MSI.  It seems to me that any write cycle is either going
> to get turned into an upstream HT write if it is to a valid address,
> or get dropped or hose the system if it's to an invalid address.

A HT interrupt message is a write cycle to a an address in the range
0xFDF8000000 -  0xFDF8FFFFFF.  So a PCI write cycle getting turned
into a HT write cycle is useful behavior.  The question is can we
generate an appropriate write to those addresses from the card, and
will the 8131 filter a write to those addresses.

Section J on page 283 of the HT 2.0a specification has a good
reference as to the allocation of the HT address space.  HT only
has memory read/write cycles.  Everything else is mapped to
memory read/write cycles at a reserved address.  Usually in
the last 12GB before 1TB.

Eric