[openib-general] got ipoib up once but not twice :-)

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Sat Jan 15 15:18:42 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 07:27 -0500, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 23:10, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> > Hmm, it's back. I guess I was not patient enough. Not sure when it all got
> > back. I will have to time it next time, I assume it won't take 6 hours
> > each time :-)
> >
> > I'm working on making this 256-node cluster work over infiniband only,
> > same as our myrinet clusters which are myrinet-only.
>
> How many 96 port switches ? I'd be curious how long it does take to
> initialize this (as I do not have access to a large cluster). Also,
> right now I'm pretty sure things are being done without pipelining on so
> it is likely slower. More on this later.

  Ron has 9 96 port switches, 3 in the spine and 6 leaf switches all
based on the InfiniScale II switch ASIC, to make a 288 port fabric.
It's not quite a true fat-tree network since there are no spine bypass
cards for the older 96 port switch (needed on the leaf switches).  This
is an interesting test case because Ron's network has a total of 612
switch chips.  A 1152 port fat-tree fabric based on InfiniScale III
would have 240 switch chips.

   - Matt