[openib-general] OpenSM SA (and SA client) RMPP Header Initialization

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sun Jan 16 07:50:11 PST 2005

Hi,

Who's responsibility is it to clear the RMPP header fields
when RMPPFlags.Active = 0 ?

o13-21.1.3: If a management class uses RMPP, and RMPPFlags.Active =
0, all other RMPP Header fields shall be reserved.
The standard definition of a reserved field defined in 13.4.1
Conventions
on page 632 is implied in o13-21.1.3:: Set to 0 when sent, and ignored
when received.

It looks to me when the SA responds to an incoming request if it is not
an RMPP packet, the other RMPP header fields are not cleared as is
required.

Is this OpenSM's responsibility or does some layer below take
care of this (or is this currently missed) ? I don't see this in OpenSM
now.

Should this be a MAD layer responsibility ? Currently, sa_query.c does
initialize the RMPP header properly. Based on the philosophy to date, I
would think this would be a client responsibility (hence OpenSM).

I have temporarily added it to my version of the umad vendor layer for
convenience right now rather than move it back into the support for each
SA record if it indeed belongs in OpenSM.