[openib-general] Re: [KJ] [RFC] TODO file cleanups

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jan 18 10:05:05 PST 2005

Hello!
Quoting r. Roland Dreier (roland at topspin.com) "Re: [openib-general] Re: [KJ] [RFC] TODO file cleanups":
>     Matthew> Funny you should mention that.
>
>     Matthew> drivers/infiniband/ulp/ipoib/ipoib_ib.c: yield();
>     Matthew> drivers/infiniband/ulp/ipoib/ipoib_ib.c: yield();
>
>     Matthew> *SLAP*.
>
> ouch ;)
>
> What should those uses of yield() be replaced with?  The loops are
> polling for pending work to finish up on an exit path, and don't have
> any strict timing requirements.  cond_resched() seems a bit
> heavyweight, since we don't need to run for our whole time slice.  We
> could do msleep(0) or msleep(1) but I don't quite see why that's much
> of an improvement.
>
> Thanks,
>   Roland

The reason we have this and not just closing the qp is because
we dont want to change the qp number, right?

May I put in again my proposal to add a "reset cq" verb, which will make
it possible to just reset everything when the interface is going down,
without polling, arbitrary timeouts and such.

I can build up a patch ...
MST