[openib-general] RFC on CM error handling

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Jan 20 11:21:49 PST 2005

Libor Michalek wrote:

>   What sort of failure did you have in mind, synchronous or async? I
> would think that if a call that is going to change-state, like send_rep
> fails, the reject is going to fail as well. If it's an async failure
> then it is reported as a transition into idle, right?

I was referring to synchronous errors.  And, you're right, if a call
like send_rep fails, then the reject is likely to fail as well.  The
difference is that reject will force the state to idle/timewait.

>   Another question, should I expect a REJ to be generated if the REQ or
> REP handler returns an error? From the code it doesn't look like that
> behaviour currently exists.

This is part of the reason why I brought this up.  Currently, the code
will not generate a reject on a failure sending a REP or RTU.  But the
communication identifier state doesn't change.  This allows the user to
  reject the connection.  Note that if the user simply destroys the
communication identifier at this point, the CM will reject the connection.