[openib-general] RFC on CM error handling

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Jan 21 11:37:55 PST 2005

Libor Michalek wrote:
>   The first part of what I suggested, was saving the event information
> needed for the QP state transitions in the communication identifier. The
> reason is that all the CM consumers are going to need to save this info,
> since the QP tansitions occur after the callbacks are complete. For example
> RTR->RTS on the passive side occurs after RTU is received, but some of the
> info that's needed is delivered in the original REQ. I was suggesting that
> the communication identifier should hold this info, otherwise each consumer
> will need to duplicate the storage. Once the cm_id is holding this data, the
> convenience functions are a natural extension.

That makes sense.  I was concerned about the CM saving the event
information for an arbitrary time, but hadn't looked at what was needed
between callbacks.

Would it be acceptable to only support those calls during the
connection establishment phase, which would allow the CM to free the
event information?  (Not sure what that does to path migration.)