[openib-general] module refcounting

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Jan 24 08:12:48 PST 2005

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] module refcounting
>
>     Michael> Not sure how important it is for sm (probably only root
>     Michael> runs it), but for other ulps I think you dont want a
>     Michael> regular user to be able to prevent root from unloading
>     Michael> the driver, right?
>
> Why not?  Everything works that way.  For example, if I run xmms then
> my sound driver can't be unloaded.
On the other hand, I can unload the NIC driver while someone has an
open socket (and this also works for ip over ib).

> Root could always use lsof or
> something and kill and processes causing problems if need be.
>
>  - R.
Kill them? Okay, but killing opensm may interfere with other HCAs I have.
It would be a bit nicer if all users went to sleep while I replace the
hardware driver. But I am not saying this is mandatory.

MST

--
I dont speak for Mellanox.