[openib-general] Re: InfiniBand MAD device number request

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Jan 26 12:56:21 PST 2005

    Torben> Ok here's the deal. I started a new 2.6+ device list.

Great, thanks!

    Torben> 231 char	InfiniBand MAD
    Torben> 	0 = /dev/infiniband/umad0
    Torben> 	1 = /dev/infiniband/umad1

Can we update this to be:

231 char	InfiniBand
	  0 = /dev/infiniband/umad0	First InfiniBand MAD device
	  1 = /dev/infiniband/umad1	Second InfiniBand MAD device
	 63 = /dev/infiniband/umad63	63rd InfiniBandMad device
         64 = /dev/infiniband/issm0	First InfiniBand IsSM device
	 65 = /dev/infiniband/issm1	Second InfiniBand IsSM device
	127 = /dev/infiniband/issm63	63rd InfiniBand IsSM device

(the issm device support is in Linus's pending queue right now)

Also, the userspace verbs support that is in development but not that
close to being ready to merge will use one character device per
InfiniBand adapter, so we would want 32 more devices like:

	128 = /dev/infiniband/uverbs0	First InfiniBand verbs device
	129 = /dev/infiniband/uverbs1	Second InfiniBand verbs device
	159 = /dev/infiniband/uverbs31	31st InfiniBand verbs device

(It's 32 and not 64 like the other devices, because the typical IB
adapter has two ports and the umad and issm devices are per port
instead of per adapter like uverbs)

If you want to add those now, that would be great.  However it's fine
to wait and see if the verbs support ends up getting merged.

Thanks,
  Roland