[openib-general] Re: [ANNOUNCE] userspace/management now partially uses autotools

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Mon Jan 31 08:25:40 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 04:48:47PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > I did the same thing as was done in the other userspace directories.
>
> Sure, but so far opensm is the only tool I know that depends on such a
> lot of libraries, so its lett painful there.

there are alot of SW packages that have more complex dependencies.
xfree86 is the first one that comes to mind.

> > > 3. Current build requires that libraries are *installed*
> > >    before opensm is built.
> > >    This means that I cant have two versions installed without
> > >    manual tweaks, and that just to *check* if some problem I have is fixed on
> > >    trunk, I must install newer libraries possibly breaking a
> > >    perfectly good installation.
> >
> > The newer libraries are only required if there are changes in them.
>
> Like, libumad? :)

Use a chroot if this is really problem for you.
As a project, we don't need two versions installed normally
since we don't have two different protocol or interface versions.
For developement, I think it's fair to break the installed
code since the developer knows which files changed and can
revert those changes via SVN commands.

> > This is the way the other userspace libraries are done.
>
> There are tools (vim) that have a configure flag to tell them
> which library version to use:local or system-wide.

Ok. But I'd rather see Hal continue making forward progress
on making the build process uniform and portable instead of more complex.
And chroot will work for the purpose you described.

> Dont get me wrong, I'm not against configure/make as a method,
> I think generally its good to standardize the build and you are going
> in the right direction with this with using standard configure/make
> commands.

*nod* - same here.

thanks,
grant