[openib-general] [iser]about the target

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Tue Jul 5 23:43:36 PDT 2005

Ian,

An iSER target is basically an iSCSI target with an add-on of an iSER transport

As you may know Voltaire contributed the iSER Initiator and also has a full Target implementation that was tested with it

There are few Target solutions that are possible:

There is at least one major storage vendor working on a target that will be available later on

Voltaire also provides a software package that can turn a server to an iSCSI/iSER target (not open source)

As well as gateway solutions from iSER to FC and GbE

In addition UNH has started some work on enabling iSER on their Open Source iSCSI target

Logically iSER target is a (much faster) iSCSI Target

So just like in iSCSI you can bridge iSER to FC just like Cisco MDS Bridge from iSCSI to FC

There are standards that define the exact mapping between the FC naming and iSCSI naming

Yaron