[openib-general] how to choose appropriate ULPs for application

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:31:48 PDT 2005

I would also recommend studying DAFS, and in particular
the differences between DAFS and NFS over RDMA.

NFS over RDMA leaves most of the existing file system
logic intact and basically optimizes the exchange of
individual messages over RDMA.

Using SDP would be a somewhat similar strategy,
with slightly less optimizations. The key benefit being
minimal disruption of existing file system layer code.

DAFS would be an example of fully optimizing the
peer-to-peer communication to optimize for RDMA.
If your application lacks an existing intermediate
layer, such as RPC, that type of approach may
be required to get the full benefit of RDMA. Such
an approach would suggest the use of kDAPL.

But I would recommend against use of kDAPL if
you are only replacing the transport of messages
locked to socket semantics. If you are going to
keep the socket semantics then definitely use SDP.