[openib-general] [iser]about the target

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Jul 6 10:27:17 PDT 2005

At 06:14 AM 7/6/2005, Rimmer, Todd wrote:
>I would like to clarify the comment on SRP.  There are companies presently
>shipping and demonstrating SRP native IB storage.  For example:
>     Engenio (formerly LSI)
>     Raytheon
>     Data Direct
>     Mellanox
>
>SRP was designed for highly optimized storage access across an RDMA
>capable transport, and hence is capable of very high performance.
>
>Longer term the storage vendors anticipate that iSCSI will be the focus
>for long haul (remote backup, etc) type solutions, while IB Native Storage
>and FC will be the focus for data center high performance storage solutions.

iSCSI within the data center is quite real for many applications especially
blades where there is already an Ethernet interface.  The reason for iSER
was to take advantage of the iSCSI ecosystem while providing a RDMA focused
data mover.  SRP is primarily a data mover and does not define the rest of
the management, etc. interfaces.  When used to move data to a FC, the FC
infrastructure is leveraged but SRP by itself does nothing really in this
regard.  No one stated that SRP could not deliver performance only that the
rest of the infrastructure is not defined and must rely upon other
standards / plug-ins / etc.  I do not want to get into a vision / marketing
debate - was just explaining why we created iSER instead of just enhancing SRP.

Mike