[openib-general] Re: A Couple of IPoIB related issues

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Thu Jul 7 12:27:11 PDT 2005

    Hal> 1. NETDEV WATCHDOG: ib0: transmit timed out ib0: transmit
    Hal> timeout: latency 360052

    Hal> This occurs once a minute on heavy pings.

Exactly once a minute, or is this just a rough frequency?  What is a
heavy ping?  Does the IPoIB interface still work when you see this?

    Hal> 2. __alloc_pages() warnings

Is there more traceback that shows who is doing the allocation that
fails?  In any case it looks like you are just running low on memory.

    Hal> Any idea on what could be causing these or how to go about
    Hal> isolating them ?

The __alloc_pages() warnings look fairly benign and can probably be
fixed by tuning /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes appropriately.

The TX timeout is somewhat odd.  I guess we need to figure out why the
netdevice queue is stopped for a long time.

 - R.