[openib-general] Re: IP addressing on InfiniBand networks (Caitlin Bestler)

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Mon Jul 11 09:16:53 PDT 2005

At 06:37 AM 7/11/2005, James Lentini wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Michael Krause wrote:
>
>>The intention was to allow one to manage the fabric by having mapping
>>functions from traditional IP management applications to IB GID to
>>minimize the amount of work to enable IB within a solution.
>
>I was unaware of this. What happened to the mapping functions? What did
>the API look like and how was it going to be implemented?

The IBTA specs are not API specifications.  They define semantics and wire
protocols.  As for what was envisioned which guided the spec, most data
center management applications understand a variety of management objects
that represent various IP based attributes.  A GID is close enough to an
IPv6 address that many of these objects could be easily modified via a
plug-in such that the IB would have been easily slid into the associated
management applications.  Investigations occurred, e.g. in to providing the
necessary plug ins for OpenView, Tivoli, etc.  This is one area where IB is
insufficient in terms of a viable ecosystem since there really isn't any
way to manage IB in the enterprise without requiring significant amounts of
training and a new tool chain to be deployed.

Mike