[openib-general] 2.6.12 Kernel OpenIB support

William Jordan bjordan.ics at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:21:12 PDT 2005

On 7/13/05, Talal jaafar <talal.jaafar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the help, I was able to load the infiniband drivers using
> your suggestion. However, I am still stuck at one point. I do not
> understand why is it happening but here what I am getting when I try
> to run "service network restart"
>
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------
> Shutting down interface eth0:      [OK]
> Shutting down interface ib0:       [OK]
> Shutting down interface ib1:       [OK]
> Shutting down loopback interface:  [OK]
> Setting network parameters:        [OK]
> Bringing up loopback interface:    [OK]
> Bringing up interface eth0:        [OK]
> Bringing up interface ib0:  Error, some other host already uses
> address 20.1.1.10.
> Bringing up interface ib1:  Error, some other host already uses
> address 20.1.1.11.
>

> I am 100% sure that no other host is already using the same address,
> and here is how I am setting the ib interfaces:
>
> The output of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcgf-ib0 :
> DEVICE=ib0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=20.1.1.10
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0
>
> and the output of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcgf-ib1 :
> DEVICE=ib1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPADDR=20.1.1.11
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0
>

> Had anybody run into this problem??
>

> Regards,
>
>  Talal

Yes, I see the same problem with ifup. It is an issue with arping
which thinks that it has seen -1 responses to the IP address. I
haven't looked to see if there is a fixed version of  arping which
works with IPoIB (anyone know?).

You can get the the interface up by just specifying "ifconfig ib0 20.1.1.10".

--
Bill Jordan
SilverStorm Technologies