[openib-general] 2.6.12 Kernel OpenIB support

William Jordan bjordan.ics at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:32:41 PDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 10:34:36 -0400, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 10:21, William Jordan wrote:
> > On 7/13/05, Talal jaafar <talal.jaafar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for the help, I was able to load the infiniband drivers using
> > > your suggestion. However, I am still stuck at one point. I do not
> > > understand why is it happening but here what I am getting when I try
> > > to run "service network restart"
> > >
> > >  ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Shutting down interface eth0:      [OK]
> > > Shutting down interface ib0:       [OK]
> > > Shutting down interface ib1:       [OK]
> > > Shutting down loopback interface:  [OK]
> > > Setting network parameters:        [OK]
> > > Bringing up loopback interface:    [OK]
> > > Bringing up interface eth0:        [OK]
> > > Bringing up interface ib0:  Error, some other host already uses
> > > address 20.1.1.10.
> > > Bringing up interface ib1:  Error, some other host already uses
> > > address 20.1.1.11.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > >  Talal
> >
> > Yes, I see the same problem with ifup. It is an issue with arping
> > which thinks that it has seen -1 responses to the IP address. I
> > haven't looked to see if there is a fixed version of  arping which
> > works with IPoIB (anyone know?).
>
> I think arping needs a number of changes. Aside from handling IB
> hardware addresses (in addition to MAC addresses), I think it relies on
> link level support from userspace (sending a broadcast). There was a
> thread on this back in early March entitled "arping" failing over ipoib.

I upgraded my iputils (from the Fedora Core 4 source RPM,
iputils-20020927-22). The new version doesn't work. But, instead of
arping returning -1 responses, it reports 0 responses, so at least
ifup works without complaining about the address already being in use.
However, if the address really is in use, it doesn't catch it.

--
Bill Jordan
SilverStorm Technologies