[openib-general] Generic device driver

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Jul 13 12:37:32 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 15:19, Suresh Shelvapille wrote:
> Another newbee question.
>
> I only see a Mellanox HCA driver in the gen2/trunk, which is a PCI device.
> Where as, we have a proprietary implementation of the HCA, where the PHY is
> accessed by the host via an FPGA (Host-bridge).
>
> 1. Is there a Generic Device Driver (I see it being mentioned in many
> places).

The generic device driver is a conccept. It is a set of required
(mandatory) APIs which the device driver needs to supply (at
registration time). Look at core/device.c.

> 2. If none, can I replace some files/functions within the Mellanox driver
> with the low level addresses etc, to achieve the same.

Yes, you can use the Mellanox HCA driver structure (strip out the
implementation). You might want to change the names from mthca_xxxx to
fpga_name_xxx where fpga_name is some name used by your FPGA based
implementation.

Start with mthca_provider.c (and registration/deregistration) and build
up.