[openib-general] kDAPL: ready for gen2/trunk/ inclusion?

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:46:37 PDT 2005

I believe that the EVD is an extremely valuable feature, but
I do agree that is one that should be optional to use.

That is why I believe there needs to be a transport neutral
API that is lower than kDAPL. However I believe that such
an API should be cleanly separated from kDAPL so that
it does not cause confusion for developers.

There are two basic approaches to this:

a) define a subset of kDAPL that provides only transport
    neutrality and none of the "extra" features such as EVDs.
    Then provide an open source implementation of the missing
    features written on top of the core API.

b) define a verb layer interface that is usable by kDAPL, other
   middleware and advanced applications. Implement kDAPL
   and other middleware using it.

Both are starting from an existing interface. A is working down
from kDAPL. B is working up from gen2. Either works. My
current estimation is that B is easier. But I don't see any
point in doing both.