[openib-general] Re: uVerbs and multiple cq_event support?

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Fri Jul 15 14:51:08 PDT 2005

Roland>My thinking was a small number, to match the 1.2 IBA spec's idea
of
Roland >having a fixed number of CQ event handlers available and also to
match
Roland>the capabilities of MSI-X interrupts.  However, the idea of being
able
Roland>to dynamically create an arbitrary number of CQ event FDs is
Roland>interesting.  I need to think about how feasible this is.

    Arlin> If the thinking is one per CQ then is fd's the way to go
    Arlin> since we can have 1000's of CQs?

>I don't know of a different way to implement this...

>- R.

I am not sure that using an fd per CQ is the right way to go. I don't
think the kernel was really designed to have ten's of thousands
of fds for one devices.

I think in gen1 we had the wait events done through ioctls, so that
we did not have to have multiple fds. Sean probably can explain this
method
in more detail.

woody