[openib-general] Re: unable to run ibv_uc_pingpong and other example binaries

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 19 09:49:26 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Joe Damato <damato at psc.edu>:
> Subject: Re: unable to run ibv_uc_pingpong and other example binaries
> OK, just tried it, same problem:
> [root at frodo examples]# pwd
> /cluster/src/OPENIB_SRC/openib-2734/gen2/trunk/src/userspace/libibverbs/examples
> [root at frodo examples]# .libs/ibv_uc_pingpong
> libucm: Error <-1:6> couldn't open IB cm device </dev/infiniband/ucm>

OK, this one is because you installed libibcm into
/usr/local/lib/infiniband which is a plugin directory instead if
/usr/local/lib, so it goes.

> open("/usr/local/lib/infiniband/libibcm.so", O_RDONLY) = 3

Simply remove /usr/local/lib/infiniband/libucm.so
and it will go away.

Longer term I think libucm config script must be fixed: libraries
go to /usr/local/lib by default. Hal?

Hal, I also think it may not be such a good idea for a library
to start opening files and print things out to standard error
when its loaded.
Rather, a library should have some sane init/cleanup functions.

> libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't open sysfs class 'infiniband_verbs'.
> No IB devices found

hmm are uverbs loaded?

lsmod ?

ls /sys/class/infiniband_verbs/ ?

> opensm is running on frodo

do you call a fat slow box sam?

> [root at ost0 examples]$ ./ibv_uc_pingpong
> Couldn't get local LID

Yes but check the local lid in ibstat. Is it still 0?

--
MST