[openib-general] kDAPL: ready for gen2/trunk/ inclusion?

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Tue Jul 19 18:05:05 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:00:59PM -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
> >This would also be a good time to get NFSoRDMA ported to kDAPL as the
> >API is unlikely to change too much in the future.
>
> I'm not as sure about the API.  Is it necessary to abstract away QPs,
> CQs, etc. from the user?  (The answer may depend on the intersection
> of the Infiniband and RNIC APIs.)  Is it possible to just extract out
> the kDAPL connection semantics and layer it directly over verbs?  Thus
> an app could talk directly to verbs and the kDAPL connection manager,
> rather than verbs and the kernel CM and SA client

  I think you hit the nail on the head. Ideally we would have a unified
verbs API, and then a seperate generic connection manager. The verb API
is already similar between the two transports, the real question is how
do ULPs establish connections in a transport neutral manner. In my mind
forget the other stuff, focus on the real issue.

-Libor