[openib-general] Re: [PATH] problem dlopen libibverbs.so

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Jul 21 07:42:52 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rolandd at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: [PATH] problem dlopen libibverbs.so
>
>     Michael> Why is this done at library initialization?  Wouldnt
>     Michael> device opening be a better place?  Am I missing
>     Michael> something?
>
> There's no good reason -- I just happened to put device discovery very
> early.  It's probably a good idea to put off the scanning for drivers
> and devices as late as possible.  It would also be nice to get rid of
> the crappy dlist API that I lazily stole from libsysfs.

Yes. For hotplug we will clearly need a way for the user to tell us
he isnt looking at the device list anymore.
Something like ibv_put_devices(dlist)?

So I expect we'll to do something like this in the framework of hotplug support,
but there's the kernel side of things to fix before this pure user-level stuff.

--
MST