[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 18:33:14 PDT 2005

The need for a single unifying event disptaching method was *the*
primary feedback received from VIA user when DAPL started.
That included both kernel and user-mode applications, in fact
one of the primary reasons why the DAT Collaborative was
started was that there was no unrestricted API for VIA that
could be used in the kernel.

As I stated earlier, kDAPL is designed for *applications*
and was not really intended for use by the OS itself.
As such it abstracts more than just the transport.

If you wrip out the EVDs it isn't really "kDAPL" anymore.
Having a stripped subset of kDAPL with a clearly different
name that is *only* what is needed to abstract transport
differences might be a really neat idea, and having it
be otherwise compatible with kDAPL would also be good.

But I'd suggest understanding why something is present
before ripping it out. EVDs are there precisely because
dealing with multiple callbacks and completion queues
was universally found to be unwieldly and unfriendly
to application developers.