[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 18:42:40 PDT 2005

On 5/31/05, Libor Michalek <libor at topspin.com> wrote:

>   Also, I realize it's just an implementation detail, but I've got a
> number of issues with ATS.

ATS was a workaround the fact that OS naming systems could
not be relied upon to deal with IPv6 format addresses (i.e. GIDs).
That is an artifact of DAT being distributed outside of the OS.

Working in full integration with the kernel I would see no reason
why ATS could not be replaced by any other solution that provided
the same answers. I suspect being integrated with subnet management
and the kernel that there are in fact a lot of new options that were not
available in the context where ATS was designed.

ATS is not visible to the application. There's a reason for that.
Any solution that can translate "dat_ep_connect" to the correct
remote endpoint works and will not break existing DAT applications
as long as the new solution can accept at least the same data
as ATS does now (or equivalent).