[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Mon Jun 6 13:45:20 PDT 2005

I did some research on the first topic. The unified event model was
designed based on user feedback. User's of previous RDMA APIs found
multiple event streams difficult to manage. They wanted the ability to
have a single event stream that maintained ordering guarantees.

DAPL allows users to have separate event dispatchers (EVDs) for
different event types. So if you wanted to have connection events
seperate from data transfer event, you can do that.

Here's a little background on your second issue for those who aren't
familiar with DAPL: To translate IP addresses to GIDs, the original
reference implementation of DAPL looked up these mappings in the SA
database. This implementation was dubbed ATS (Address Translation
Service).

ATS is only one possible way to implement this. Other methods could be
used.