[openib-general] IPoIB: Waiting for ib0 to become free

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Jun 10 06:51:53 PDT 2005

Hi Roland and Troy,

Last week, Troy reported the following:
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:33, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > > Also, I have two machines in a state right now where they are
> > > printing out:
> > >
> > > kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for ib0 to become free.
> > > Usage count = 1

dev/core.c netdev_wait_allrefs says:
 * Any protocol or device that holds a reference should register
 * for netdevice notification, and cleanup and put back the
 * reference if they receive an UNREGISTER event.

Is it correct that IPoIB does not need to register for these events ? If
it is, then this must be something else which is using the IPoIB driver
causing the reference count to be incremented but not handling these
events. Troy, any idea on how to recreate this ?

Thanks.