[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Kevin Reilly kjreilly at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 20 19:23:48 PDT 2005

Maybe somebody could help me understand the proper way to map between an IP
address assigned to a port to the
"device  name" and "port number" in the gen2 architecture.  If I have an IP
address can I map it to a name that i get back
from ibv_get_device_name() or pass to ibv_open_device().
     Here  is  the  problem.  Let's  say  there  is  a  subsystem that used
heartbeating over IP interfaces to ascertain the adapters
and  ports  state,  up  or  down.   The  data  actively  maintained be this
heartbeating subsystem is used by a job scheduler that
desires  to  only schedule tasks on HCAs that are UP and have active ports.
The job scheduler does not want to launch jobs
on adapters that are broken, not connected to a switch or not configured.
      The  job  scheduler  needs a way to map an IP address into a name and
port number sitable to be passed to the job to
use   when   ibv_open_device()   is  called  or  to  match  the  output  of
ibv_get_device_name().

Kevin J. Reilly
STSM, HPC Architecture
-Federation/HPS  Chief Engineer
-HPC interconnect architect
(office) 845-433-7976  (tieline) 8-293-7976