[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:44:42 PDT 2005

Expanding slightly on Hal's response, the correct method to correlate
an *IP* address with a device is to consult the *IP* routing tables.

While there are exceptions where you want to control the local
address, it is far more common that you need to reach a remote
address (or be reachable from a remote address), as pointed out
in Roland's response. So the general algorithm is to check the
local routing tables to see what device would be the first hop.
>From there it is merely a matter of connecting the device
declared for purposes of IP routing with the device that provides
RDMA services.

As for the differences between *IP* and *IB* addresses, that
boils down to a determination of who is responsible for reconciling
the difference: the network stack or the application.