[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Jun 23 04:15:25 PDT 2005

Hi again Kevin,

I'd like to go back to your original query to make sure I understand
things.

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 22:23, Kevin Reilly wrote:
> Maybe somebody could help me understand the proper way to map between an IP
> address assigned to a port to the
> "device  name" and "port number" in the gen2 architecture.  If I have an IP
> address can I map it to a name that i get back
> from ibv_get_device_name() or pass to ibv_open_device().

So the application knows the IP addresses of the local IP interfaces and
(potentially) the device names and ports but not their correspondence.
It is the correspondence that is needed, Is that correct ? Are the local
IP interfaces limited to IPoIB or are there alternate IP network
interfaces as well ?

Thanks.

-- Hal